Now that it’s summertime and the weather is warm, it brings out the silly in all kids. So, before they decide to take apart your entire house, try some of these ways to keep those kids entertained this summer! These are great to do on any rainy day if you are stuck in the confines of your home.
- Free Movies – Most movie theaters have programs in the summertime for children. There will be one day a week where they offer a free movie and discount on concessions. Some places may make you pay $2, which is still a steal, but it is a fun, air-conditioned, adventure for the kids!
- Make your own play dough – This can be done inside or outside (when it isn’t raining). Kids can have fun creating their own unique colored playdough and even make it scented!
- 2 cup plain flour
- 1 cup salt
- 1 Tbsp.oil
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 drops liquid food coloring
- Create a Scavenger Hunt – This is great for all ages on a rainy day. However, on a sunny day, it is a great way to get the kids outside. You can either hide some of your children’s own items or stop at a dollar store and pick up a few amazing items! Find a few spots around the house to hide these objects and write out clues to give the kids. For the younger kids who many are not able to read, draw picture clues!
- Paper Bag Puppets – These can be as easy or complicated as you want. You can create a few puppets using glue, tape, construction paper, eyes, string, and anything else you may have laying around that can add character to a puppet. Once the puppets are created, your child can put on their own plays.
- Button Art – I’m sure there loads of buttons laying around most people’s homes, so instead of seeing them hide in a corner or the bottom of a sewing kit, let’s put them to use! You can create a collage or a button clock and be as creative as you want. Additionally, if you would like to monogram, you can use buttons to create your initial. Once it is all dried, you can even get a shadow box, this way it is easy to hang up on the wall.
Even though it may be rainy outside on this summer day, you might want to get rid of your cabin fever and get outside. Grab your rain boots and rain gear, and get suited up to take on the wet weather. You can take a walk with your pretty umbrella, or be more adventurous and go out without one. Remember, it is just water! Next, you can go splish splashing around in the puddles to get out all of your pent up energy.
After all your fun in the rain, head back inside and take a hot bath and get in your jammies for some cozy cuddles with mom and dad.